Emma Howarth. BVMS Cert AVP (SAM) MRCVS. RCVS Advanced practitioner.
Laura Smith. B Vet Med PG Cert SAM MRCVS
Our internal Medicine referral service is run by Emma Howarth and Laura Smith, supported by Tom Clarke, medical ward vet Justyna Ratczak and dedicated medical nurses.
Our facilities include a dedicated Intensive care unit, on site laboratory, digital radiography, CT scanning, visiting MRI machine, ultrasonography, and a wide range of endoscopes allowing for the investigation of challenging medical cases.
Our emergency and critical care service Leeds Emergency Vets means cases get continued care 24/7 whilst in our hospital.
Refurbished in 2017 the medical department has separate wards for dogs, cats, smaller animals and birds, with state of the art cat friendly cages to comply with the International Cat Care standards. Also two individual isolation wards suitable for dogs and cats.
The team see a diverse range of cases including:
- Gastrointestinal diseases (acute or chronic vomiting and / or diarrhoea)
- Respiratory diseases (Coughing, nasal disease)
- Urinary tract diseases (renal failure, haematuria, polyuria/polydipsia)
- Haematological conditions (Anaemia, thrombocytopenia, coagulopathies)
- Endocrine disorders (Diabetes mellitus, hyperadrenocorticism, hypoadrenocorticism)
- Pancreatic conditions
- Cases with clinical signs of systemic illness (Fever of unknown origin, anorexia, weight loss)