Barbecues and your pets – things to consider
Picture the scene…you’re in your garden in Leeds, the sun is shining, maybe you have friends and family round to visit, and the charcoals are just about ready for you to start cooking al fresco. The last thing you want is to have an emergency vet visit with your beloved pet at one of our Abbey Vets practices
If you’re planning a barbecue this weekend, here are some of the things to consider to keep your pet safe.
Your pet could get burnt by brushing past the barbecue, by a falling hot coal or by eating food directly from the cooking surface. Make sure they can’t access the cooking area.
Choking or obstructions
Discarded bones, skewers and corn on the cob can all be of danger to pets if swallowed. Other items such as tin foil may contain tempting cooking juices which can cause issues if ingested. Ensure rubbish is properly disposed of in a container that pet noses can’t find.
Animal tummies aren’t designed to digest human food therefore burgers and hot dogs can cause your pet to develop vomiting or diarrhoea. Too much human food also piles on those pounds.
If alcoholic beverages are left around, your pet may be tempted to investigate. Alcohol is toxic to cats and dogs; causing vomiting, disorientation, high body temperature, restlessness, excessive panting, muscle tremors and seizures. Keeping drinks out of reach is advised.
If you’re having a great time in the summer sun in Leeds it can be easy to get distracted. Make sure your pet has access to fresh water and shade while you’re enjoying yourself. If you choose to keep them indoors away from the hustle and bustle of the party, open a window a small amount to allow a breeze into the space or put on a cooling fan.
If you do have any barbecue mishaps, we’re here to help. Get in touch for advice.